About HET Law
Henderson Eastwood Tuck is one of Ontario’s oldest law firms, built on the proud histories of Henderson Johnston Fournier and Eastwood Law Offices.
In 1886, two young lawyers—J.A. Hutcheson and A.A. Fisher—formed a partnership and established the law firm Hutcheson & Fisher. They practised together for a quarter of a century. Hutcheson would continue in the firm until 1929—a total of 43 years.
Fisher left the firm in 1911 and was replaced by Robert Driver. The firm became Hutcheson & Driver. Ten years later, in 1921, Wilfrid Huycke of Cobourg, Ontario, joined the firm. Huycke had graduated from Osgoode Hall Law School prior to World War One, but served overseas in the Canadian Armed Forces with the 18th Canadian Field Artillery. Returning postwar in 1919, Huycke took a refresher law course at Harvard University before coming to Brockville to join the firm. The firm became Hutcheson, Driver & Huycke.
In 1924, Huycke moved to Peterborough to open his own law firm, making way for James MacLaren to become the new partner. The firm was now Hutcheson Driver & Maclaren. While still with the firm, MacLaren was elected President of the Federation of Ontario Law Associations.
1929 saw the retirement of J.A. Hutcheson, and the firm became Driver & MacLaren. Maclaren would retire in 1950.
John Edward Henderson
In 1952, John Edward Henderson joined the firm as an Associate. When MacLaren retired in 1953, Henderson became a partner. The firm was now Driver & Henderson. Henderson had practised with the Toronto law firm Haines & Haines (now Thomson Rogers) for two years before settling in Brockville. The new partnership lasted only a year, when Robert Driver died at the age of 68. He had practised law with the firm for 43 years.
John Ross Matheson
One year after Driver’s passing, in 1954, John Ross Matheson became Henderson’s new partner. The firm became Matheson & Henderson. Matheson later pursued a political career, winning the federal Liberal seat of the riding of Leeds in 1961. He served on Parliament Hill through 1968. During that time, Matheson—as Parliamentary Secretary to Prime Minister Lester B. Pearson—was instrumental in creating the new Canadian flag and is known today as “One of the Fathers of the Canadian Flag.”Read More
Hugh Hart became another partner with the firm in 1962, having joined as an Associate in 1958. The firm was now Matheson Henderson & Hart.
The 1960s brought more growth and change. In 1966, Neville Johnston joined the firm as an Associate. With the appointment of Matheson to the Bench in early 1969, Johnston became partner and the firm name changed to Henderson, Hart & Johnston. Later that same year, Paul Fournier joined the firm as partner and the name changed again—to Henderson Hart Johnston & Fournier.
In 1970, David Algie joined the firm as an Associate, becoming a partner three years later. The firm was now Henderson Hart Johnston Fournier & Algie. Algie left in 1979 to open his own practice and later became Assistant Crown Attorney in Ottawa. On Algie’s departure, the firm welcomed Robert Hammond as a new partner. The name was now Henderson Hart Johnston Fournier & Hammond.
In 1986, the firm marked 100 years of history. Hugh Hart had left in 1982 to open a solo practice, and the firm was known as Henderson Johnston Fournier & Hammond. In 1995, Hammond would also leave to open his own practice, the firm then becoming Henderson Johnston Fournier. It would continue under that name until its merger in 2018 with Eastwood Law Offices.
John Henderson retired from the firm in December of 2000, having practised law for over 50 years. He was an Honorary Life Member of the Law Society of Upper Canada (now Ontario). Henderson passed away in 2016, at the age of 90.
After practising law for over 20 years with Brockville’s Stewart Corbett, James Eastwood opened his own practice called Eastwood Law Offices in 2013. Jennifer O’Reilly, having been called to the Bar of Ontario in 2012 and subsequently practising law with Stewart Corbett, joined him as Associate.
Eastwood Law opened its doors at 6 Court Terrace, in the shadow of the historic Brockville Courthouse. Prior to housing the new law firm, the 125-year-old building had had many prior uses, including a long-time medical office, apartment unit, and head administrative office for Newterra.
Also in 2013, Trea Tuck was called to the Bar of Ontario. Having joined the firm of Henderson Johnston Fournier as an articling student the year prior, Tuck continued to practice law with partners Paul Fournier and Neville Johnston until becoming Managing Partner in 2014.
In 2016, both Johnston and Fournier were made Honorary Life Members of the Law Society of Upper Canada (now Ontario), each having practised law for 50 years. The following year, both partners announced their retirement from active practice by the end of 2017.
With the retirements, new plans for a merger with Eastwood Law Offices, and leaving the building John Henderson built at 61 King Street East after over half a century, 2017 was a busy year of change and growth for the firm. A community retirement celebration was held for Johnston and Fournier in September, and the firm left the King Street building during Christmas Break in December. Eastwood Law Offices welcomed Henderson Johnston Fournier at the Eastwood location of 6 Court Terrace December 27th, 2017. The new firm re-opened for business on January 2nd, 2018 as Henderson Eastwood Tuck.
The adventure continues…